Monday, September 13, 2010

Dowhatchalike


I have an extreme admiration for people who have found their niche. From the Deadheads to Trekkies, I am in awe of people who have found something they really enjoy. Regardless of how nerdy it might be.

I took my son with me down to Santa Cruz on Labor Day Weekend and we met up with a friend from high school who took us on a hike. Upon arriving at the park in the Santa Cruz mountains, we stumbled upon this medieval reenactment group. They were all dressed up in their armor, with their shields and swords. At first we laughed at them - I mean it was kinda corny. But as we watched them for a bit and spoke with one of them, we began to realize these people were having a really good time.

I've always wanted to find a unique niche for myself. I guess an outsider could look at my life and assume my niche is being in a sorority. I mean, like the medieval people, we wear costumes (letters), use canes, have coordinated dances . . . we travel, compete, etc. It might even be corny to outsiders. I'm not sure if I want that to be my only niche though. It would be nice to find something that my son and I could do together - and something that might be physical so we can continue to incorporate physical activity into our daily lives.

Either way, I realized I really respect people who do what they love to do. Even if it is dressing up like Sir Lancelot and jousting in a park in Santa Cruz.


No comments:

Post a Comment