Saturday, July 24, 2010

Consignment Incomplete

As you all know, I cleaned out my closet recently. I got rid of things that were a.) unflattering; b.) repetitive; c.) unworn. One of my friends suggested I try to sell some of the clothes. So during my purge I put the unworn or gently used stuff in one pile and the cheap, overused items in another. This weekend, I looked up a few consignment shops in my area, made a list of 4 that had good Yelp reviews and that accepted non-designer clothes (the most high end label in my closet is probably Ann Taylor). Then I put all my clothes in a suitcase and prepared to spend Saturday afternoon on a consignment quest.

My first destination was Crossroads Trading. When I arrived I was actually pretty impressed (I'll probably go back there to do some shopping - they've got a great shoe collection). I was super nervous and as I pushed the stroller with my son in one hand and lugged my suitcase of clothes in the other, across the street to the store, I hoped that they would at least buy enough clothes to pay for the cost of parking on College Avenue.

What I didn't expect was that they would not accept anything. Why? According to the clerk, in really her nicest voice (no sarcasm) my clothes were "out of date from what they were looking for." Now granted I can accept that considering a lot of items had been purchased in 2008 or earlier. And I certainly was no trendsetter in 2008. But it was so HUMILIATING. I mean I already knew I was fashionably-challenged. But that was the FINAL stamp of it.

I sent a text to my friend telling her about my humiliation. I told her I didn't even want to go to any other stores given my embarrassment - and the waste of parking and gas. She suggested I just donate the rest. And so I did. Including the suitcase.

Sign me up for one of those "What-Not-to-Wear-Oprah's-Big-Makeover-How-to-Look-Better-Naked" shows. Please. I'm serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment